Friday, February 02, 2007

Throwing dirt on the memory of a Lady.

It is simply an insult for George W. Bush to give false condolences over the death of Molly Ivins, who passed away Wednesday from cancer.
"Molly Ivins was a Texas original. ... I respected her convictions, her passionate belief in the power of words and her ability to turn a phrase. She fought her illness with that same passion. Her quick wit and commitment to her beliefs will be missed," the [Shrub] said in a statement.
Given the depths of evil and depravity to which this dictator has dragged this once-great nation of ours, for him to speak any words of Ms. Ivins--for they are surely as empty as the void where his soul ought to be--is to soil the memory of her.

That was probably his intention.

I can imagine Ms. Ivins, sitting now in her seat in Heaven, looking down at this pathetic little wannabe-king and coming up with something acidic, drop-dead funny, and too smart for the mediocre Shrub to understand.

But all I can do is imagine what she might say, and my poorer writing skills would not do her memory proper justice; so I can only say if it were me up there in Heaven I'd reply to those empty words of condolence with, "How very kind of the Shrub to say he respected my convictions. I'd have liked to have respected his own convictions, but first he would have to have faced a judge and jury."

The biggest insult you can throw upon the memory of a dead person--especially one like Molly Ivins who, in life, earned nothing but respect and admiration--is insincerity. The Shrub would have done better to keep his lying mouth shut.

No comments: